Sunday, December 14, 2014

Christmas Card Holder

Ho Ho Ho
Merry Christmas from the Rock !!!

Well I don't know about you, but I feel that Christmas should still be a few months away NOT a few days away!!!
 I have yet to tackle any baking, my cards are made and addressed but not mailed and I still have some shopping left to do...sigh.

But, on a brighter note, I DO have my decorating done and I did get to play in my craft room today! 

I made a Christmas gift for my Secret Santa recipient over at Crop Circles. Unfortunately I can't share it with you yet cuz I don't want her to see it !

After I finished making my gift I decided to take some time and make a new piece for my Christmas decor. I recently saw a Christmas card holder made from an old book on Pinterest. I love anything made from old books {remember my Christmas frame from a Reader's Digest book that I did two years ago? You can check it out HERE }.

 This is the holder I saw on Pinterest. It was created by Amy and is on her blog www.fourcornersdesign.blogspot.com



It's lovely isn't it?  
I love the clean minimalist look of it. 
However, my decor tends to run toward traditional reds and greens, so I decided to try my own version. 
For this project I used:

an old Funk and Wagner dictionary 
{cover removed}
a red charger plate from Wal Mart
one glass ornament from Michael's
some moss and dried mini pine cones
Dollarama acrylic stars
Dollarama Christmas stems
Prima Christmas stems
Merry Christmas stamp from Unity Stamps
a length of jute ribbon
Dazzling diamonds from Stampin' Up 
Gold Perfect Pearls powder
Strips of sheet music

So let's get started !
First I folded the pages of the book in towards the centers. I doubled up my pages.



Then I realized that it wasn't supposed to have the cover on , so I removed it with an exacto knife and attached it to the charger plate using sookwang double sided tape {aka Skor tape}. It looked pretty stark and not vintage enough for me so I then mixed some gold Perfect pearls powder with water and washed all the paper edges.



While that was drying , I decided to add a little extra sparkle to the plain acrylic snowflakes bought at Dollarama. I painted them with Mod Podge and sprinkled on some Dazzling diamonds powder.


See the difference?

I glued down some dried moss for a base. Then I just started adding my little pieces until I was happy with the results...some little pine cones, the pretty sparkly stems and the newly glittered snowflakes.

I rolled little strips of sheet music around a pencil and inserted them into the glass ornament from Michael's. I finished off the ornament with a stamped sentiment from Unity and tied it on with a little piece of jute ribbon.Glued the ornament in the center and viola! Pretty little card holder for my Christmas cards.

 Here's the finished project!



Close up



  
Here's wishing you all a safe, happy and blessed Christmas season!
Thanks for popping by today. Toodles!

4 comments:

  1. oh WOW! This is fabulous, Michelle! I am totally wanting one to display my cards now! That red charger plate is perfect and I love the vintage style. As usual, I am in AWE of your creative crafty talents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Michelle! A showstopper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW this is so beautiful Michelle love all the detail and thanks for the tutorial on you created it . Merry Christmas
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle...just seeing this now, it's fabulous! I just might have to make one for this Christmas! TFS!

    ReplyDelete